Posted by HealthyLoserGal at Friday, August 1, 2014
Here's the 'down and dirty': I've been slacking, inactive, snacking, not journaling and have gained weight. I was at my doctor's on Wednesday for a follow-up visit and I have an annual physical scheduled in December. "When I see you in December", he said to me with a side-glance, "you'll be 15 pounds lighter and will have gotten back on track." Then he made a notation on his iPad. I wrinkled my nose and both loved him and hated him in that moment. He wasn't going to let me get by with the gradual weight gain. He also wasn't going to lecture me. "Only 15?" I said to him with a laugh, "I probably should lose all 30, don't you think?" "I was being generous", he replied with a smile as we stood to leave the exam room. He put his hand on my shoulder and looked me square in the face, "You know how to do it, Jan. Get going."
And get going, I shall, and ask for you to join me and support me as I will support you in our mutual journeys to health. Deal? : )
The Awesome August challenge is simple in scope:
1. Do some soul searching and come up with a reasonable goal.
I always set my weightloss goals at 5 lb. increments and then reward myself with something non-food related for every 5 pounds lost. I have a dream board that helps me focus on my fitness and physical goals.
2. Write your goal down in a book you will use as a journal for the month. Use a standard black and white composition pad from the school supply aisle at any chain store. It is important, though, to WRITE it, not type it. The act of pen to paper is proven to increase the likelihood of achieving your goals and keeping you on track.
3. Track everything that goes into your mouth.
My goal will be 1250 calories daily with a low-fat diet but you can decide for yourself what is best for you. Don't go below 1200 while exercising, though, it just isn't healthy. I tend to eat a big breakfast with protein, a morning and afternoon low-fat snack, and then a regular lunch (500 cals usually) and a lighter dinner. I stop eating anything and everything by 8pm. Write down your food in your journal and how you feel about your day at the end of each day.
4. Exercise daily for at least 45 minutes to an hour. No less.
I love to walk so walking for me can easily burn up that hour. But if you think you're pressed for time and wonder where you can fit in 45 minutes, break up your activity into three fifteen minute bursts of intense activity. Power walk for 15 minutes then, later in the day, do some sort of stretching and weight routine. Whatever works for you to consistently DAILY get in your exercise is what you should be doing!
5. Celebrate YOU! Don't let those negative voices in your head drown out the good voices. You are a unique person blessed with all sorts of wonderful attributes. You can do things well that others struggle to do. You have a beautiful spirit. Celebrate YOU in August and remind yourself when you're feeling down that YOU ARE AWESOME! If you don't believe it, ask me to remind you! ; )
I'll be posting on Twitter during the month with the #hlgAWESOMEAug hashtag. Please join me for a great month of encouraging one another in our goals and getting serious about losing some weight and getting healthy and fit.
Here's to our health!
Jan / HealthyLoserGal
Dream. Believe. Achieve!